At our CCCC Standing Group meeting this year, we were thrilled to have Dr. Sam Looker-Koenigs talk about her new Bedford Spotlight Reader, Language Diversity and Academic Writing. Her handout from the presentation is attached; it shares her rationale for the course, chapter summaries, and a selected bibliography.
Below, from newest to oldest, are some textbooks that instructors might be interested in. Please write with other suggestions!
- Language Diversity and Academic Writing: A Bedford Spotlight Reader (2018), by Samantha Looker-Koenigs (see also Looker-Koenig’s article about her writing-about-language pedagogy in the Dec. 2016 issue of Teaching English in the Two-Year College)
- Writing about Writing: A College Reader (2017, 3rd ed.), by Elizabeth Wardle and Doug Downs, published by Macmillan (website links to instructor’s manual, videos with the authors, and a link to Wardle and Downs’ Bedford Bits blog)
- Everything’s a Text: Readings for Composition (2011), by Dan Melzer and Deborah Coxwell-Teague
- Literacies in Context (2007), by Shannon Carter, published by Fountainhead Press (available as a PDF via her academia.edu account)
- Considering Literacy (2006), by Linda Adler-Kassner, published by Longman. (website links to instructor’s manual)
- Conversations about Writing: Eavesdropping, Inkshedding, and Joining In (2005), by M. Elizabeth Sargent and Cornelia C. Paraskevas, published by Nelson Education
- On Writing: A Process Reader (2003, 1st ed.), by Wendy Bishop (appears to be out of print; could not find entry on McGrawHill’s website. Two later editions have been published))
Texts by a Single Author(s)
- Academic Writing: An Introduction (2014, 3rd ed.), by Janet Giltrow, Richard Gooding, Daniel Burgoyne, & Marlene Sawatsky, published by Broadview Press (companion website has additional exercises for each chapter and sample student essays; request exam copy for access to it)
- Exploring College Writing: Reading, Writing, and Researching Across the Curriculum (2011), by Dan Melzer, published by Equinox
- The Elements of Literacy (2009), by Julie Lindquist and David Seitz, published by Longman.
- Open English @ SLCC: Texts on Writing, Language, and Literacy (evolving digital textbook)
- Bad Ideas about Writing (2017), edited by Cheryl Ball and Drew Loewe
- Naming What We Know: Threshold Concepts in Writing Studies: Classroom Edition (2016), edited by Linda Adler-Kassner and Elizabeth Wardle
- In 2011, Betsy Sargent created this list of possible primary and supplemental textbooks for a University of Alberta FYC course, WRS 101: Exploring Writing